Ten Things to Do Waiting at Jury Duty

July 1st, 2010 by

So yesterday I spent sitting in the courthouse in New Brunswick. Never even got called into the court room. So what was one do from 8:00 am to 2:30 pm when we were finally let out?

1. Read the magazines and newspapers left out on the table for jurors to read.
  2. Make conversation by the coffee machine. “Is the coffee any good?” I asked someone. I had already read everything I had brought, and I was just trying to strike up conversation.
  3. Read books that you brought. Of course, you came prepared with plenty of reading material, right?
  4. Daydream.
  5. Plan your next vacation. If you don’t have money or time to take a real vacation, plan what you will cook for dinner.
  6. People watch: lots of different kinds of people show up at the Middlesex County Courthouse in New Brunswick, New Jersey.
  7. Think about what you might photograph if you were in a place that was worth photographing (unless you were doing a piece on urban depressing sights, I don’t think this room would be appropriate. And I doubt taking pictures of jurors is legal, anyway).
  8. Stretch. Do some neck rolls. Move your legs around. Walk around the room.
  9. Draw.
  10. Write a blog post on ten things to do while waiting at jury duty.

Here’s what I didn’t see on my day yesterday – a view of New Brunswick from the Highland Park side, Raritan River all sparkly, photographed in Fall 2008:
Raritan River looking at New Brunswick

10 Responses to Ten Things to Do Waiting at Jury Duty

1. Ilana-Davita says:

Sometimes 1) is depressing because the magazines are so old. then turn to the recipe section and copy those you like.
    I like 10)!
    Someone I know was called, got picked and spent a whole week on a jury. Most of the cases were incests and/or violence; it made her very depressed about human nature.

2. Leora says:

“incests and/or violence” – that would be upsetting. Is white collar crime less upsetting? Someone cooking the books? I am glad I didn’t have to listen to a trial.

The court house did have recent magazines. I read the Yankee one, and I took down the website of some woodworker shop in Vermont. Some day I’ll treat myself.

3. perfect crocheting time

yes, I was thinking someone who does needlework could do a lot. I didn’t see anyone taking some out – I guess fewer people do this now.

4. Mrs. S. says:

I like how you took some of life’s lemons (i.e. the tedium of jury duty) and turned them into sweet “blog-worthy” lemonade! :-)

Shabbat Shalom!

5. Jew Wishes says:

What a serene and lovely photo.

I love your list, and the fact it gave you something to do to relieve the boredom.

6. Eva Abreu says:

I should have taken a “Wish You Were Here Leora!” photo from the Social Media Day tweetup at Converge on that day! At least you know you won’t have to go back for another 3 years now (I think it’s 3 yrs?)

Do they allow the use of handheld devices, cell phones, smartphones, etc while you are waiting?

Yes, I did make a few calls on my cell phone while there. And some people were using laptops, but I didn’t feel safe bringing mine. I’ve seen people tweet while on jury duty (at least in the waiting room, not in the court, there they have to be off), but that wouldn’t help me do any work. I need to concentrate while I’m working, and I need to be able to access lots of different files.

Yes, I was so thrilled that I don’t have to do this for three years.