Deer, Sparrows and Cardinals

February 5th, 2013 by

two deer up close
On Friday we had three deer visit our backyard. These two hung around for a while.

deer-backyard
I had a staring contest with this deer.

deer-portrait
Finally, the deer hopped the fence.

cardinal in a tree
I prefer the cardinals who visit our backyard. One cardinal, however, seem to like to hog our bird feeder. He sat in there for a while, and the sparrows went elsewhere.

sparrows in andromeda bush
There is an expression in Hebrew: Aharon aharon haviv – loosely translated, it means last, last is favored. This shot of sparrows on an andromeda bush is my favorite of this post. The story behind these lovely sparrows is I heard a racket of chirping down the street. I walked to a neighbor’s house. Many sparrows had gathered on the andromeda bush of her house. When I came, they flew about, then they flew away.

13 Responses to Deer, Sparrows and Cardinals

You got some fantastic shots of the deer. I also love seeing your birds.

2. Jennifer says:

The sparrow on the right is already eyeing you over his shoulder, it seems :)

3. Kusum says:

Lovely pic of sparrows. Its been so long time I have seen these little birds.

4. Lorri says:

What beautiful photos…the deer…the stare…

I love the sparrows, that photo is my favorite of the set. I love the textures and contrasts in the composition.

Leora, I love your beautiful deer shots. They are pretty critters. And the birds are lovely. Wonderful nature post, have a happy week!

6. Karen says:

Beautiful deer shots!

7. Cynthia M. says:

Wow, great shot of those deer. I know what you mean about getting uncomfortable when wildlife’s too close. I once happened upon two deer grazing in the grassy field of the outdoor center where I used to work. I was walking right towards them, and I kept expecting them to move away, and they never did. I ended up just skirting around them, but it was a weird feeling – they were definitely too comfortable with people.

Priceless shots!

9. lovely images Leora…we have had such a mild winter that not many dear have wandered through our woods as they typically do, at least I’m guessing that is why. The “heart” on my blog is formed from two pieces of bark that had fallen off a tree in the bog near my house. Together they formed a lovely heart.

10. Oh a mama deer and two babies..They come pretty close here as I think suburban deer have adjusted to humans more than is probably good for them. I love the cardinal and yes, they can be bossy, but the flock of house sparrows can be quite bossy too and all winter they are in their flocks whereas the cardinals are alone or in mated pairs…Lovely for Nature Notes…Michelle

11. So much to smile at when I look at these photos!

12. Lorri says: