Onions: Watercolor, Colored Pencil

March 7th, 2013 by

onions - red yellow garlic
I hope you like onions. This post features onions. One onion is red. One onion is yellow. The scallions are green. The garlic clove in the photo is white (but it doesn’t appear in the art below).

onions watercolor
I am showing the onions art in the reverse order that I did them. I am so happy with this watercolor. It is painted in a sketchbook of textured watercolor paper that Jill C. gave to me. I have a drawing of Jill that I did at our first artist group, and I will show in a separate post. I don’t want to take it out of the book, but it does mean I have to photograph the art instead of sticking it in my scanner, which is easier.

onions drawn in pen
I did this drawing of the onions and scallions with an ink pen.

colored pencil onions
Red and yellow onion are drawn on paper with colored pencils. With colored pencils, it is good to work with different shades of a color and with different colors within an object to produce form, texture and light. I erased a bit to get the light to shine on the onions.

8 Responses to Onions: Watercolor, Colored Pencil

1. Lorri says:

Thank you for sharing the details. I love the water color. The colored pencil came out nice…very textured.

Lorri, appreciate the kind feedback. I love the watercolor. I have a harder time with colored pencil – a little too stiff for me. Maybe it’s the medium or maybe it’s my use of it (with no formal training for colored pencil, just what I’ve read).

2. You’re so talented, Leora! And imaginative, I’m not sure I would have thought to draw onions…but they are indeed a great for drawing – the shapes and colours.

Funny, how you say I’m imaginative. I sat in my kitchen one day last week, and I said to myself, I’m going to draw something. I found various colored onions, and that was the subject. My mother did a few paintings of eggs which I think are marvelous subjects (and challenging, too).

I would never think of taking pictures of onions, except to illustrate a recipe maybe but I like onions as the first ingredient in soups.
    My favourite is the watercolour.

Funny! I have photographed squash, bananas, garlic – I love the natural forms. I took a whole series of onion photos – I only shared my favorite.

Glad you like the watercolor – that one is my favorite as well. And I hope you are feeling better.

4. I love this. Really great work. I love artistic renderings of everyday items.

Trindad, coming from you, with your artistic talents, I take that as a huge compliment. This is the sort of art work I enjoy the most.

Need to do more!