Bird Party: Cardinals, Finches, Blue Jays and Tufted Titmice

December 23rd, 2013 by

male cardinal basks in the sun
Last week as it got warmer, I remembered to fill the bird feeder. And thus I was rewarded. Wouldn’t you like to be this male cardinal basking in the sun?

finch
We haven’t had finch visitors for a while. The guy in the red cap is the male house finch; his friend on the right is a house sparrow.

blue jay turns head
Raise your hand (or your paw) if you get as excited as I do when you finally capture a blue jay in a photograph. These birds flit around quite a bit.

tufted titmouse just ate at bird feeder
I looked up the plural of tufted titmouse and found this clever post: Tufted Titmice or Titmouses?

Today, despite the bird feeder being full, no birds seemed to visit as it rained all day long.

Last week, in addition to the birds, we did have a rabbit visit for two days:
bunny in snow
Now not only is the bunny all gone, the snow is all gone, too.

12 Responses to Bird Party: Cardinals, Finches, Blue Jays and Tufted Titmice

I love seeing your visiting birds and the rabbit too. You captured them so well.

Beautiful birds and photos, Leora! I love watching my backyard birds. Thanks for commenting on my post, I appreciate the visit. Have a happy week!

My hand is raised! I love blue jays! I have to go up north to see them, if I am even lucky to see one.

Look at that chubby cardinal. We don’t get them here.

I love the goldfinches in my yard…and the squawking mockingbirds…

Great photos, giving me big smiles.

Now, back to watching Fiddler on the Roof.

I didn’t know blue jays are cold weather birds. I had heard that about cardinals.

Speaking of Fiddler on the Roof, the Rutgers Bildner Center just added a spring program about the musical, so I spent yesterday morning working on a slide for the show (see the 5th slide on this page: http://bildnercenter.rutgers.edu/ ).

They are found predominantly east of the Rockies. They rarely are seen in northern CA.

I like the presentation of the slide…brava! It is appealing in many ways, and I think it will elicit strong interest in the discussion.

I saw the book on Goodreads a couple of days ago. My library doesn’t have it yet.

5. Oh what a great birds post. You have captured more birds than I have in a month. Unless you count ducks…. I like the extra info that you provided too…. Michelle

You did an amazing job of capturing these birds. Did you use a zoom lens?