Backyard Blue Jay in Highland Park

January 27th, 2014 by

backyard blue jay in tree
I’ve seen more blue jays this year in my backyard than I can remember in a long time. It could be that I am much more diligent about filling my bird feeder this winter. Also, it is certainly a snowier winter than those in the past – the birds in general must appreciate the food, not covered by snow. I also saw a sparrow and a girl cardinal yesterday, but I didn’t get photos.

blue jay turns in tree
Do you find that you love doing Nature Notes in part because whatever else is going on in your life, it is relaxing and calming to show birds and plants and flowers and beautiful waterways? Yesterday I was talking with some friends about some painful childhood memories – I am happy today to show you the my backyard blue jays.

back of backyard blue jay
I was wondering if the female blue jay looks different than the male, and I found this on a Penn State web page: “Male and female blue jays have identical plumages and can be absolutely identified only by their mating and nesting behaviors.” So male and female blue jays, unlike cardinals, look alike.

Do you see blue jays where you live? Are any of the birds blue?

18 Responses to Backyard Blue Jay in Highland Park

Oh, how lovely! Thank you for sharing the blue jay photos with us. I love your backyard feathered-friends that you share with us!

I have lots of mocking birds, finches of all sorts, mourning doves, and other birds, but never blue jays, and definitely never cardinals. I miss seeing those two birds, they are so beautiful.

I don’t think we have mocking birds here; but then, maybe I’m missing the id of some bird. Seems to be steady supply of sparrows, cardinals and now blue jays in my backyard. I do see mourning doves. Finches – a few.

Great shots of the jays. I also find nature notes to be a calming time.

3. Oh I am so happy to read that this is calming. I think that is why I love nature so much. It is a way to step outside of yourself and the drama in my own mind.

I love that you are seeing jays. I wish I had as many blue jays as some of the other birds. It is impossible to tell the sexes apart and I only know a jay family when they come to the feeders in the summer. The most I have seen at one time is 5.

The seed you are putting out is saving them in this weather. Finding insects is nearly impossible and most of the fruits and seeds and nuts are gone from the trees.

But blue jays so collect and cache food in the fall. They hide and keep it for bad times. One jay may follow another jay to see where his or her cache is and then take it so the jays have to be very secretive.

They are also interesting in that they learn what the local hawks sound like and they are great mimics being very smart birds. To clear out the feeder area here, they come in yelling like a coopers hawk. Not that a hunting hawk would make any calls, but it clears the area.

They are a joy to watch….Michelle

4. Cathy says:

What delicate looking birds they are – would they be about the same size as a sparrow smaller or larger?
    Birds here are quite different to the ones in your town – we see lots of parrot type ones
    Cathy

Cathy, no, much bigger than the sparrow, these are the biggest birds I get at the feeder! Maybe not as big as a pigeon. Funny, what is so common here does not live where you are. I find that so interesting – the different species in different parts of the world.

5. Dianne says:

Mr. Blue Jay, king of the birds! Nice photos of a backyard visitor!

6. Hootin' Anni says:

Beautiful!!! A little jealous here since we don’t get those jays this far south. I’m a bird lover. In fact my nature notes is about an eastern phoebe spotted this past week.

Stay warm.

7. I love Blue Jays. We have lots that visit the feeders. You got some nice shots! I always find that immersing myself in nature has a healing effect.

Oh how pretty, You reminded me how I need to refill my feeders. We are suffering thru the worst draught in two centuries (so they say) so the birds are having difficulty finding food along with every thing else for that matter.

Leora, your jays are pretty. I love watching my feeder birds. My Jays love to eat peanuts in the shell. Thanks for sharing, have a happy week!