Flowers of Comfort

July 3rd, 2014 by

columbines
It was a very difficult week for the Jewish people – some say Tisha B’Av, the saddest day of the Jewish calendar came early this year. This is not a political blog; I could send you elsewhere to read some important posts, such as this one or this one. And here’s one that is quite thorough on a recent topic.

I will just mention the word nechama – comfort. What do you do or say or post when you need comfort? I’m posting flowers from my garden. Above are the columbines of spring – now gone, except for the seeds. You can sprinkle the seeds from the spring columbines in a different place in your yard, and if conditions are right, you get more columbines!

Mexican poppies
I grow these Mexican poppies instead of grass on my front lawn. Unfortunately, they are only in bloom for a short time in the spring. I have to be careful not to pull them up when the flowers are done – it is easy to mistake them later for weeds. Some of the poppies’ leaves are now turning a brilliant red.

summer rudbeckia
Rudbeckia or black-eyed susan: one of my favorite flowers! These I grow all over my yard, front and back. They seem to be happy here.

summer lilies
Finally, here are some bright summer lilies. My neighbor was admiring these, and I told her I grew them by mistake! I probably pulled a lily in a different spot by accident and threw it by the fence. It took hold right behind a pink rose bush. I think the two look a bit silly together, but whatever.

Do you have favorite flowers? Do flowers bring you comfort?

9 Responses to Flowers of Comfort

Flowers are very comforting for me. They are a beautiful symbol for so many issues…life…love…special occasions…and comfort

Your post is a lovely tribute to the recent events in Israel, involving the Jewish people. Thank you.

Thank you, Lorri. Sometimes one has feelings to communicate … but the words seem like clutter. Adding images always helps me to verbalize feelings. If one can verbalize with an image …

• Lorri M. says:

I am the same way…imagery helps me express myself.

The pain lingers, yet certain images comfort and help one to cope.

Beautiful flowers. I gain comfort from flowers and nature in general. Sometimes when I’m sad I will sit and watch the birds from my windows and they give me joy.

Nice to hear from you, Carver, and yes, watching the birds can be a comfort as well. I finally had a chance to photograph the baby robins growing in a nest next to our porch – I hope to post a few pics before next week’s Nature Notes.

3. It is so sad…. Children after all…. I think photos are perfect to convey your emotions. You know I go to nature for comfort and flowers seem to show great strength and fragility all at the same time like human beings….

I love flowers. My favorite is daisies though. I call them “happy flowers.” They look so cheerful and always bring a smile to my face.

5. My flowers always bring me solace. Lovely flowers you have there.