It is the 70th anniversary of Kristallnacht, the Night of Broken Glass. At least four of my relatives survived Hitler’s Germany of the 1930’s, and some of my teachers who came to the United States from Germany survived the Holocaust years. One of my teachers wrote how the 1930’s, strangely enough, were golden years for him in Germany. Why? Because so many personal freedoms and material wealth were taken away during those years, but they could still look forward to Shabbat and to hearing the rabbi speak.
Bloggers writing about Kristallnacht:
- Ilana-Davita: Broken Glass
- Lorri at Jewwishes: Remember Kristallnacht
- Lorri at Jewwishes: Martin Gilbert’s Kristallnacht, Prelude to Destruction
- Gail at Rubicon3: Kristallnacht (video)
- Westbank Mama: Lots of Talk, No Action