First, thank you to Jennifer for hosting the Kosher Cooking Carnival for Av.
We are in the middle of the Nine Days – that is, the days before the 9th Av when traditional Jews do not eat meat except on Shabbat. Last night I prepared a successful meal, so I thought I would share what I made:
- Homemade rye bread – half white flour, half rye flour with a little dried oregano
- Mushroom barley soup – with shiitake mushrooms, carrots and sauteed onions
- Salmon, grilled on the stove top with a bit of lemon and some dried oregano
- Salad: lettuce, grated carrots, chopped beets tossed with olive oil and raw apple cider vinegar
- Fried noodles with cheese (that really made my kids happy)
- Steamed cauliflower
- Bean dip: cooked northern beans pureed with fermented garlic, lemon juice, sea salt and olive oil
I don’t usually make meals that varied in the middle of the week!
What have you been cooking?
You might want to try these fish cakes.