Thursday Challenge: Light

December 18th, 2012 by

chanukiah night three
This was my father’s chanukiah – as he passed away in October, we had to decide whether to give away his chanukiah or to use it. We decided to keep it. The middle branch, called the Shamash (literally the helper), is broken off, and I plan to get it fixed sometime before the next Chanukah. I am hoping a jeweler can fix it. The photo above shows the candles as they were lit on the third night.

chanukiah-8
Here is the chanukiah on the last night of the holiday. You can tell it is the last night because one typically lights from left to right, and that chanukiah is going to get filled with light all the way to the very end! The other light in the photos are from our other chanukiot (or their reflections).

Thursday Challenge theme is Light (Photos of beautiful light, reflecting, shining through, colourful,…).

12 Responses to Thursday Challenge: Light

1. Batya says:

definitely worth keeping and repairing

2. Indrani says:

That is so precious! Great captures, very well framed.

3. Jewaicious says:

What a lovely Chanukiah…and lovely photos of illumination.

Thank you for sharing.

Beautiful photos! The chanukiah is lovely.

5. Mrs. S. says:

It must have been so meaningful to have someone in your family lighting the same chanukiyah that your father z”l used to light. Yehi zichro baruch.

Yes, it was my daughter. My husband wasn’t sure if using a chanukiah without a shamash was legal, so my daughter, being the minor in the family, got the honor. It seems like it should be halachically fine to me, as we just used the shamash from another chanukiah. In any case, I have a year to fix it.

6. It is a lovely treasure to keep….Michelle