Ma’alot Israel Flowers and Birds

July 7th, 2013 by

blue globe thistel
Not far from the home of my friend in Maalot Israel is a little forest. One can see flowers such as the blue globe thistle, Echinops adenocaulos – קיפודן מצוי.

Maalot View
Ma’alot is a city built on hill. My friend’s home has lovely views from her back deck and from the nearby forest. You can see there are lots of trees in the valleys and neighboring hills and villages on the far hills.

bird in Ma'alot
I have no idea what species is this big bird on a wire (a crow?). But he was bigger than the pigeons, sparrows or doves that I saw. All the birds I saw on my Israel trip were brown, gray or black – none were brightly colorful. I did look up a few birds from the Hula Valley and found some colorful ones shown.

maalot-buttercup
In addition to featuring this buttercup on this Ma’alot Israel Flowers post, I saw buttercups on Mount Meron (Ranunculaceae, נורית).

queen anne's lace
I believe these large white bouquet-like flowers are Queen Anne’s Lace.

sparrow
From the deck of my friend’s house, I could see sparrows, mourning doves and pigeons. I saw what may have been swallows flying above, but I wasn’t quite sure. Do you see the little sparrow in the large palm tree? I told my friend her back deck would be a lovely spot for birdwatching, and she offered for me to stay a few months to make my observations. Maybe one day I will take her up on her offer.

mourning dove in Ma'alot
Here is a mourning dove hanging out on some sort of gadget. I don’t see these often in New Jersey, but I have seen them a fair amount in Israel. On my trip to Israel five years ago, I believe I incorrectly identified this bird as a pigeon (it’s a mourning dove). I’ve learned a bit about birds since then – I hope to have the opportunity to learn more.

22 Responses to Ma’alot Israel Flowers and Birds

Leora, your Israel photos are pretty. I love seeing new places. It is nice that you added some of the local birds too. Great post, have a happy week!

It’s too hot and humid to spend much time outside in New Jersey, so it’s a good time to share my Israel pics! I have a few more to go before I run out of material to share.

Thanks for dropping in, Eileen.

2. Lorri says:

What lovely photos, from the overviews to the mourning dove and the flowers. Queen Anne’s Lace is so delicate looking…a favorite of mine. I love thistles, too, but dare not touch the flower part, and get pricked.

Thanks, Lorri! It was a precious time for me, visiting my friend after twenty years. Her one year old was suddenly twenty-one years old!

• Lorri says:

I am so glad your time was wonderful! Some friendships last a life time, and this one sounds as if it is one of those special friendships. Yes, I can imagine how you felt seeing a young man of twenty-one!

It was a daughter who went from one to 21.

When we were in high school (we have been friends since 2nd grade), I noticed our differences. On this trip, I so noticed our similarities! We both like to hike, for one.

3. Lovely post… You can call yourself a birder now Leora…. And that makes me smile…. It has been hot and humid here too… I will be back after I get my Nature Notes post done… Hmmmmm…. Will have to see what I have….. Michelle

It would be fun deck from which to watch birds, Michelle. Like I said, maybe some day …

I posted today, as I suspect I will be busy with work later this week.

I love thistles!
    Another lovely series. Thanks for sharing.

5. Cosmic X says:

The bird looks like a crow.

6. Mrs. S. says:

Beautiful photos – especially the second one!
    Maalot is also known as the home of one of Israel’s few ice skating rinks.

That would be quite a trip for you just to go skating. I assume there is one closer to Tel Aviv.

Lots of Russians live in Ma’alot – kind of goes with ice skating.

Thanks for liking the second one. Maybe at some point I will post various views that I photographed but haven’t yet put online.

• Mrs. S. says:

You’re right. It’s a bit far to make a special trip. But when we were up north a few years ago on Chanukah, Maalot’s indoor rink proved to be an ideal activity on a very rainy day! :-)

Beautiful shots. Your friend has a great view.

8. We have a large clump of Echinops in the garden but the heads are still green.

Lovely post from your Israel trip.

9. I very much enjoy seeing Israel’s birds and plants, Loera. A very neat post!

10. A great series of shots. Beautiful view from the back deck!

11. Batya says:

This blog post has been included in Shiloh Musings: Nine Days’ Havel Havelim, What to Read Online.  Please visit and of course share and read & share all of the other posts included in this edition.  If you haven’t already, you’re welcome to join the Havel Havelim jblog community.
    Shabbat Shalom u’Mevorach
    May you and your dear ones enjoy a very blessed and peaceful Shabat.