Soup Beautiful Soup

November 10th, 2009 by
soup

Soups on My Blog (pareve, vegan)

Soups from Some of My Favorite Bloggers

Macrobiotic Soups

Fish and Poultry Soups

In this fish and chicken soup category are my children’s favorite, my chicken soup, and my own favorite, Mimi’s Fish Soup:

I believe soup is one of the healthiest foods one can eat. And it is yummy, too!

As Lewis Carroll wrote:

Beautiful Soup, so rich and green,
Waiting in a hot tureen!
Who for such dainties would not stoop?
Soup of the evening, beautiful Soup!
Soup of the evening, beautiful Soup!

Beau–ootiful Soo-oop! Beau–ootiful Soo-oop! Soo–oop of the e–e–evening,
Beautiful, beautiful Soup!

Beautiful Soup! Who cares for fish,
Game, or any other dish?
Who would not give all else for two
Pennyworth only of Beautiful Soup?
Pennyworth only of beautiful Soup?

Beau–ootiful Soo-oop! Beau–ootiful Soo-oop! Soo–oop of the e–e–evening,
Beautiful, beauti–FUL SOUP!

— Lewis Carroll

According to this article, that poem was a parody of a poem called “Star of the Evening.” More of Lewis Carroll’s funny poetry on this page.

20 Responses to Soup Beautiful Soup

1. batya says:

How could you leave out my famous Vegetable Soup?

Oh, you must have been busy with your father when I made multiple requests for soup links.

I had it in the back of my head that you had a recipe somewhere. Now it is included!

2. phyllis says:

i loooooove your soup illustration. gorgeous!!!!

thanks for the link – and you’re right, i’d probably use olive oil in my own recipe too:-)

3. I love soup and I am going to check out these recipes…

4. Mrs. S. says:

Consider me a fellow soup fan.

Great post, and thanks for the link!

5. Shimshonit says:

Thank you for including the link to my pea soup, and for all the others. I’m teaching my daughters to like soup (other than chicken noodle) and these should be good to try.

My eldest daughter is also working on her English reading and I recently enjoyed hearing her read me Else Holmelund Minarik’s Little Bear story, “Birthday Soup.”

• Rivster says:

I LOVE that story. I have loved the Little Bear stories since I was very young and I even translated one into Hebrew for an ulpan assignment during my first year of Rabbinical school :)

6. Ellie says:

This is the yummiest post – perfect for the season – which one cures kid’s cold – may be the chicken soup? I like fish soup – i have to admit.

7. Melissa says:

Oh my goodness! These soups sound so delicious.

I must try them all.

8. Ilana-Davita says:

Sorry for the belated visit. This is a great compilation. I also wish to thank you for including two of my soup posts.

9. Pingback: Another Week Gone By « Ilana-Davita

10. Meg Wolff says:

Hi Leora,
    I love the Lewis Carroll soup poem! Thanks for adding my soups, too. I love the photo that your Dad took in 1966!

11. Rivster says:

Yay — thanks for including a link. I’ll have to tell BubbeGiraffe. She’ll be so excited.

And your sketch is just wonderful!

12. Pingback: My favorite foodies, part II: Leora « Shimshonit

13. I started off reading your latest posts on Soup Beautiful Soup | Here in Highland Park but I ended up in the earlier content also. You have some really good posts on here. Some of your posts have some good tips in them – for me at least and I will make sure I read more another day. You’re bookmarked. Best of luck! Edna E. Kessler.