Sage Leaves Watercolor

April 6th, 2014 by

sage leaves watercolor
I participate in an online Facebook group called One Watercolor a Day, based on the book by Veronica Lawlor. There are many exercises in the book, and every few weeks I do an exercise and share it in the group. Recently, I’ve been sharing the watercolor exercises on this Sketching Out blog as well. The most recent exercise was Do a Study of Nature, and it was fun to sit outside and paint:
sage watercolor with watercolor paints outside

This particular painting is a sage leaves watercolor: I took a look at my sage plant that has come back year after year and did a little painting study. I once tried to plant more sage in the back of my yard, and those sage plants unfortunately died. This sage plant, however, that is close to my kitchen back door, has managed to re-emerge after many a winter. Happy that today was such a nice day, so I had an excuse to sit outside and paint in between cleaning my house for Passover.

I find sketching from nature a great way to learn – you really need to observe to come up with a little watercolor painting quickly. I did two others before I decided to limit my color palette and limit my subject to the sage leaves.

It has been a while since I’ve participated in a Nature Notes, one of my favorite online memes run by my friend Michelle over at Rambling Woods. Here is a cardinal shot I had in my stash but never got a chance to share until now:
cardinal with cocked head in tree

Do you cook with sage? Do you have it in your yard? Have you ever painted outside?

20 Responses to Sage Leaves Watercolor

Aww, look at the sweet cardinal.

I love the watercolor…it is lovely and dainty looking. I love the browns and green tones, and the more muted tones from them.

I love your watercolor. Nice shot of the cardinal.

Hello Leora, your watercolor is lovely..And the Cardinals are always a treat to see! Now that is warmer weather is here, spending time outside is nice! Enjoy your new week!

4. A beautiful watercolour! I used to paint outside in the nice weather. Cute cardinal. I like to see a splash of red in the bushes.

5. Oh I love the watercolor and its soft nature.. Really lovely. You have more cardinal photos than I ever get. I never catch them here although I do hear them… Hopefully we are really into spring now…Michelle

6. naquillity says:

what a simple but effective watercolor. i’m sorry to hear your other sage didn’t grow. at least you had some that came in year after year and was able to find inspiration in that. i can’t paint well so i’ve never painted outside but i have taken pen/ paper outside to write my poetry. it’s always so nice to be outside… hope all is well. have a great night~

Thanks for commenting. Well, the other sage grew, but then it was in the corner of the yard so I neglected it during a drought. Some plants seem to survive my neglect!

Poetry outside sounds inspiring.

7. naquillity says:

almost forgot… your redbird is adorable…

8. Laura says:

I love this watercolor. It reminds me of Japanese art. I like the asymmetry against all that white (negative space? is that the right phrase?).

BTW, did your son just win an award? Mazal tov!

Shabbat Shalom.

The beautiful bright red cardinal against the starkness of the bare branches makes for a nice photo. Love the simplicity in your watercolor painting of the sage too. Very peaceful.

10. Beautiful watercolor Leora! Chag Sameach:-)

11. Jill says:

This made me think of Japanese art right away, too. So simple and beautiful. Sometimes I like to paint on my porch but I’m not that into the plein air thing. I like the comforts of my indoor studio. I have considered going down to the Raritan River when we get a nice, not too windy day!

” I have considered going down to the Raritan River when we get a nice, not too windy day!” – maybe we could do this on a Sunday sometime?