I love the idea of a side dish that requires no cooking. You might want to make this in the summer, but as winter approaches, fresh vegetables may not be as abundant. This pea salad can be accompanied with squash or rice.
- 8 oz. frozen peas
- 1 clove garlic
- first cold-pressed olive oil – enough to coat the salad
- 1 half red onion, chopped (or use a sweet vidalia onion)
- sea salt, to taste
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped parsley or cilantro
- optional: pepper, allspice or cumin
- optional: shredded carrots – 1 large carrot or a handful of baby carrots
Put the frozen peas in a container. Crush the garlic clove, and add it to the top. Put in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve it (the peas will need several hours to defrost). When you are about to eat, coat with olive oil. Add the chopped onion, herbs, salt, optional shredded carrots and any spices you desire, such as cumin or allspice. Stir and serve.